Wi-Fi is available in the meeting room.
This 36-acre neighborhood park shares property with a branch of the Broward County Library, the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, which opened in 2002. The park's 17-acre lake features a dramatic fountain in its center. Programming at the park includes classes, club and association meetings, the After-School Program, and the Summer Recreation Program.
Recreation Center: Opened in June 1997, the 4,575-square-foot center includes a large multipurpose room (capacity 125), a small meeting room (capacity 25), the park office, a game room, computers for public use, storage areas, and restrooms.
Picnic Shelter/Pavilion: One medium (capacity 64). Reservations required.
Basketball: Full-court and half-court facilities.
Fishing Piers: Two. Catch-and-release encouraged.
Canoe Launch: Opened in 2002.
Half-Mile Jogging Trail
Activities and Programs: The park offers a free After-School Program for ages 6 to 17, as well as a free Summer Recreation Program and youth sports development programs. The park also offers Senior Programs that emphasize healthy living and nutrition. For more information on these programs, visit our Activites and Programs Webpage.
We also feature the Walk With Ease program for seniors looking to stay fit. For more information on the Walk With Ease Program, please visit the program Webpage.
Public Art and Design: A prominent feature of the recreation center is a project called Pillars of the Community, consisting of commemorative mosaic tiles. In anticipation of the project, the Reverend Samuel Delevoe Park Civic Association solicited the community for nominations of individuals who had made significant contributions to the county's black community since 1911. The association then narrowed the list down to 84 names, which were inscribed by artist Chisseko Kondowe on his hand-made tiles. Those tiles now adorn the pillars of the center as well as the park gates. The goal, according to the artist's statement, was "to capture the tranquility of the environment at Delevoe Park."
Fitness Center: In 2009 the park opened a new 2,029-square-foot fitness center. Membership is $20 plus tax for one year from date of purchase and limited to individuals ages 18 and up, and users must register and sign a release and waiver of liability, as well as provide photo identification. The fitness center is open only when youth programming is not in session at the park. Members must bring their own towels to wipe down equipment before and after using. Equipment available includes inner and outer thigh combo station, lateral pulldown with a low row, deluxe bench press with weight storage area, cable crossover with adjustable cables, deluxe incline press, vertical chest press, shoulder press, bicep curl, treadmill with incline, stationary bicycle, and free weights (barbells).
Fitness Center Hours: Mondays-Fridays, 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., Saturdays, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
For volunteer opportunities at this or other parks please visit our Volunteer Webpage.
A Little History: The site was first developed in 1952 as a private three-hole golf course. Then, in 1973, the Devcon International Corporation acquired the property and dredged approximately 17 acres of it for bedrock material. After dredging, Devcon agreed to donate the land to Broward County, which was slated to develop a portion of the property as a park. When it opened in 1975, the park was known as River Bend Park, because of its location on a bend in the North Fork of the New River. The park was renamed in 1979 to honor the Reverend Samuel Delevoe, one of Fort Lauderdale's first black police officers, who later became a community activist, politician, businessman, civil rights leader, and street minister. He was fatally shot in 1977 at age 41. November 11, 1979, was proclaimed Sam Delevoe Day by Florida's governor, in conjunction with the renaming of the park by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners.
Reverend Samuel Delevoe Park
2520 N.W. Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311