Broward County Library's Bienes Museum of the Modern Book, The Dianne and Michael Bienes Special Collections and Rare Book Library, and the Florida Center for the Book, are pleased to announce the continuing sponsorship of the annual Florida Artists' Book Prize. For the purpose of the Florida Artists’ Book Prize, Artists’ Books are works of art realized in the form of a book.
The fourteenth annual prize of $2,000 will be awarded in 2011. An exhibition of a selection of the entries and an award ceremony will be held in mid-March 2011, in the Bienes Museum of the Modern Book, 100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
The prize will be administered jointly by Debbie Llenza of the Bienes Museum of the Modern Book and Tara Zimmermann of the Florida Center for the Book. It will be adjudicated in early 2011 by a panel of qualified judges.
CRITERIA FOR ENTRY
- The book entered in the competition must have been created or published in the calendar year 2010.
- The entry must be created or published in an edition (i.e., more than one copy), but cannot be a trade edition (i.e., produced commercially by a publishing house for sale nationally or internationally) nor can it be one-of-a-kind.
- The artist's primary residence must be the State of Florida.
- DEADLINE FOR ENTRY: Completed entry forms and a copy of each book must be received in the Bienes Museum by January 14th, 2011.
- All entries must be accompanied by an entry form.
- While all artists are encouraged to participate, an artist who has won the prize for two consecutive years is ineligible to win a third consecutive time.
The prize-winning Artists’ Book becomes the property of the Bienes Museum.
Selected entries will be on exhibition at the Bienes Museum until June 17, 2011. Participating artists will be notified if their entry was selected for exhibition or not.
- Artists or their representatives are responsible for picking up the entries:
- All Artists’ Books selected for inclusion in exhibition should be picked up at the end of the exhibition, from June 20 through August 1, 2011.
- Books not selected for exhibition can be picked up by March 31, 2011.
- All entries not picked up by August 1, 2011 will be returned to the address listed in the entry form, via U.S. Mail, uninsured.
Artists agree to give Broward County Library and participating media permission to the pictures of all the entries and permission to include select images with press releases and feature articles.
2010 Florida Artists’ Book Prize Entry Form
1 Artist’s name _______________________________________________________
Other contributor(s) _________________________________________________
City ___________________________ State _________ Zip _________________
Cell phone _________________________________________________________
E-mail ______________________ Website _______________________________
2 Description of artists’ book: title, media, edition size, etc.
Media (materials used) _______________________________________________
Edition Size (How many copies were created in this edition?) ________________
Other technical or relevant information __________________________________
3 Please include personal resume and/or biography
4 Send Artist Book and entry form to:
Florida Artists’ Book Prize
Bienes Museum of the Modern Book
Broward County Main Library, 6th Floor
100 S. Andrews Ave.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
We encourage all artists to provide us with digital images (300 DPI) suitable for publishing on the Broward County Library website and/or printed catalog, if one is published. Please email digital images to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download a PDF file of the entry form.
Freedom of Expression
Broward County Libraries Division recognizes and supports the right of artists to exercise complete freedom of expression in any and all visual arts media. In the matter of art considered for public display in library facilities, the Libraries Division reserves the right to withhold from display any works that it considers inappropriate.
To view prior entries of the Florida Artists’ Book Prize, please visit Bienes Museum Exhibitions.
For more information, please contact Debbie Llenza at 954-357-8692 or email@example.com.