The Animal Care Advisory Committee does not operate in a regulatory or authoritative capacity, but rather is available to assist Animal Care concerning animal issues or shelter programs and services.
The Committee also helps to administer the Animal Care Trust Fund and accepts and disburses gifts, grants and other awards of money paid to Broward County for the use and benefit of animals in the County.
Broward County Resolution #2008-832, adopted November 13, 2008, establishing the Animal Care Advisory Committee.
Amended by Ordinance #2009-09, enacted March 10, 2009, sunsetting the Animal Care Trust Fund Committee; implementing the recommendation of the National Animal Control Association to transfer its duties to the Animal Care Advisory Committee.
Eighteen (18) members.
Each County Commissioner shall appoint two (2) members, one of whom shall reside in the appointing Commissioner’s district and one of whom shall represent a specific category chosen by draw as follows:
- Veterinarian licensed by the State of Florida who is currently practicing veterinary medicine in Broward County, who is a member of the Broward County Veterinarian Medical Association (BCVMA), and whose practice consists primarily of caring for domestic animals;
- Member of an animal welfare organization;
- Member of a local, nonprofit organization providing services to stray or unwanted animals;
- Animal behaviorist;
- Member from an animal regulatory agency;
- Member from a law enforcement agency;
- Member of a wildlife animal rescue organization;
- Owner or full-time employee of the pet retail industry; and
- Member from the State of Florida Broward County Health Department.
Section 1-233 of Chapter 1, Article XII, Broward County Code of Ordinances, as may be amended from time to time.
A majority of the total appointed board members.
Nancy Rubin, County Attorney
Susan G. Pierce
Animal Care and Adoption Section
Permitting, Licensing, and Consumer Protection Division
954-765-4400 ext. 9863
Heather Stone, Administrative Coordinator
Monthly, third Monday at 1 p.m.
Shall meet a minimum of four (4) times per calendar year.
Financial Disclosure not required.