Before the Event
(See Also Refrigerators & Freezers)
Hurricane Cook Kit
- Stock up on food items that do not require cooking or refrigeration.
- Choose foods your family will eat.
- Buy enough food for three to five days including non-perishable packaged or canned food, canned or shelf milk, cereal, etc., and snack foods. Choose salt-free crackers, whole grain cereals, and canned foods with high liquid content.
- Avoid foods that will make you thirsty.
- Assemble a Hurricane Cook Kit (see below).
- As the storm approaches, purchase ice in the event of power outages after the storm.
- Prepare only what is necessary for one meal.
- Manual Can Opener
- Bottle Opener
- Paper Plates
- Paper Towels
- Plastic Utensils
- Alternatives to an Electric Stove
- Gas Stove
- Gas Grill
- Charcoal Grill (outside use only)
- Sterno (canned heat)
Updated April 2013