SUMMARY : Under general supervision, repairs and maintains a variety of automotive and construction equipment and/or small engines.
· Diagnoses problems with equipment and/or their sub-systems, including electrical, hydraulic, engine, mechanical, drive train, brake, and/or other specialized systems in order to determine the nature/extent of the repair needed, estimate the time/parts needed, and/or provide information regarding the cost effectiveness of repair vs. replacement.
· Performs preventive maintenance on a wide variety of equipment, including small engines, cars/light trucks, heavy construction equipment, hydraulic equipment, fire/rescue equipment, and other specialized equipment in order to identify potential operating problems, extend the safe operating life of the equipment, maintain warranty, ensure equipment operates safely, and minimize repair costs.
· Performs a variety of minor equipment maintenance/repair, including replacing lights/lenses, adding fluids, lubricating, making minor adjustments, inflating tires, and/or replacing a variety of hoses in order to ensure safe operation of equipment, minimize major repairs, and/or prevent damage to equipment, facilities, or the environment.
· Maintains shop area and related equipment in order to ensure a safe work environment, ensure equipment operates properly/safely, and identify equipment not operating properly/safely.
· Obtains needed parts in order to facilitate maintaining/repairing equipment, maintain an inventory of frequently used parts, and to minimize costs.
· Interacts with the public, vendors, and other staff in order to obtain goods/services, answer questions, or identify their service needs.
· Instructs operators and other staff regarding safe and appropriate operating procedures for a variety of equipment/vehicles in order to facilitate safe/correct operation of the equipment, minimize equipment malfunction, promote operator maintenance, minimize equipment down time, and facilitate communication of equipment operating problems.
· Rebuilds a variety of equipment and/or equipment sub-systems, including small engines, diesel engines, hydraulic systems, brakes, transmissions, electrical systems and components, power-take-offs, pumps, cooling systems, air conditioning, drive lines, etc. in order to cost effectively extend the safe operating life of the equipment, minimize equipment replacement, minimize equipment down time, and/or reduce inventory costs.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of general equipment operation diagnostic/troubleshooting principles and procedures.
· Knowledge of appropriate maintenance/repair procedures/techniques for a variety of light to heavy construction equipment and other specialized equipment.
· Knowledge of basic mathematics, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
· Knowledge of operating principles for a variety of engines and their sub-systems.
· Knowledge of procedures for using a variety of equipment testing/diagnostic tools/equipment.
· Knowledge of general equipment parts terminology.
· Knowledge of established safety procedures for operating a variety of light to heavy construction equipment and other specialized equipment.
· Knowledge of safe operating principles and procedures for a variety of light to heavy construction equipment and other specialized equipment.
· Knowledge of general engine tune-up procedures.
· Ability to read, understand, and follow technical manuals regarding the operation/maintenance/repair of a variety of small engines, light to heavy construction equipment, and other specialized equipment.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to learn/perform a maintenance/repair on a variety of small engines, light to heavy construction equipment, and other specialized equipment.
· Ability to repair/maintain a variety of small engines, light to heavy construction equipment, and other specialized equipment.
· Ability to estimate the time, parts, and equipment needed to complete maintenance/repair work on a variety of small engines, light to heavy construction equipment, and other specialized equipment.
· Ability to use a variety of engine/sub-system diagnostic tools and equipment.
· Ability to identify operating problems with a variety of light to heavy construction equipment, including by listening to the equipment run.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of procedures for disposing of a variety of hazardous materials.
· Ability to interpret output from a variety of diagnostic tools/equipment.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE : Graduation from high school; tw o (2) years journey level work maintaining and repairing a variety of automotive and/or construction equipment, or completion of an accredited course/apprenticeship in automotive/construction equipment repair; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT : Depending on the area of assignment, employee might need to have a valid Florida Class B Commercial Driver = s License.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec Estab ./Revised: E 10/1976 R 01/2009