SUMMARY: This is professional field and office work in the collection and management of delinquent County revenue accounts.
· Reviews, investigates and collects various types of accounts owed to the County; such as: delinquent personal property tax, license fees, bad checks, legal assistance liens, fees for violations of County ordinances, and other delinquent accounts owed to the County.
· Attempts to locate holders of delinquent accounts by correspondence, telephone or in person concerning payments; uses various skip tracing techniques; conducts Internet research.
· Contacts business owners at their place of business regarding payment of delinquent personal property tax accounts and occupational licenses.
· Identify tangible personal property that needs to be seized and sold to pay taxes; attends and assists at delinquent personal property tax auctions.
· Exercises tact and judgment to obtain public cooperation voluntarily rather than through legal sanctions.
· Prepares statements, letters and reports of unpaid accounts for distribution to County agencies, the court, the Board of County Commissioners, delinquent account holders, attorneys, mortgage companies and others.
· Maintains all pertinent information on accounts including collection and payment activity; establishes installment payment plans and follows-up on the plans to insure payment.
· Answers inquires from debt holders, business owners, citizens, law enforcement, attorneys, mortgage companies, and other governmental agencies.
· Enforces the Occupational License Code through contacts with businesses to insure compliance with Code requirements; performs field inspections of businesses to determine if licenses current and displayed properly; issues notices of delinquent license fees; collects license fees.
· Inspects mobile homes for violations of the decal law and issues notices of violations.
· Performs work within clearly defined areas of statutes, ordinances, regulations, and procedures; work is reviewed on completion through reports and citizen response.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE: (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job class.)
· Considerable knowledge of standard collection practices, procedures and techniques including skip tracing.
· Considerable knowledge of procedures for operating various office equipment, including personal computers.
· Ability to deal effectively with delinquent debt holders and with other agency representatives.
· Ability to enter data accurately in a computer program such as a spreadsheet or database.
· Ability to express ideas effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to review and edit data reports for accuracy.
· Familiarity with BrowardCounty.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
· Valid Florida Driver License is required for those employees who do field collection work.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
· Graduation from high school including or supplemented by courses in business; four (4) years experience in debt collection work and skip tracing; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
Bargaining Unit: White Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Work Locations: Revenue Collection Division
Class Spec. Estab ./Revised: E10/1976 R12/2004