SUMMARY : Under general supervision, assists customers in resolving a variety of problems/issues in an assigned agency.
• Updates/maintains a variety of databases in order to facilitate information recording, storage, and retrieval and/or to track activity/volume of work.
• Checks payment history in order to answer questions from customers regarding payment/use history.
• Resolves a variety of problems/issues from the public and/or other staff in order to maximize the efficiency/effectiveness of office operation and/or service provided.
• Interacts with the public or other County staff/officials in order to assist them in using Department services/programs, collect fees, answer questions, or identify their service needs.
• Posts funds received in order to credit the proper customer account.
• Retrieves information/summary reports from a variety of databases in order to facilitate data/trend analysis, and/or provide data/information to staff, County officials, and/or the public.
• Researches county and non-county government information in order to assist customers in determining the appropriate government agency/jurisdiction that can resolve their problem/issue.
• Registers regulated businesses/individuals in order to protect consumers and document regulated businesses/individuals.
• Prepares a variety of correspondence, notifications, forms, and related documents in order to communicate information to staff and/or the public.
• Processes returned checks/credit card transactions in order to collect funds owed for utility services, or license/permit/citation/lien satisfaction fees, and/or update account status.
• Researches misapplied payments in order to post funds received to correct account.
• Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
• Knowledge of English spelling and grammar.
• Knowledge of general policies, procedures, and techniques for interacting with disruptive individuals.
• Knowledge of procedures for operating various office equipment, including personal computers, digital cameras, and a multi-line phone system.
• Ability to work effectively in high stress situations.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to operate a personal computer to prepare a variety of correspondence, notices, schedules, and related materials using a variety of software/applications.
• Ability to read names, account numbers, amounts and related information on a variety of documents.
• Ability to understand, follow, and explain a variety of Department policies and procedures.
• Ability to enter data into a variety of spreadsheet/database applications.
• Ability to research information from a variety of sources, including databases, Internet web sites, and related locations.
• Ability to read and understand data/information from a variety of computer spreadsheets, printouts, or related documents.
• Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, familial status, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity and expression.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
• Knowledge of established customer service policies, procedures, and techniques.
• Knowledge of the general operating policies and procedures of the assigned Department.
• Ability to learn/perform a variety of work activities in assigned Department.
• Ability to learn, understand, and follow changes in established ordinances, policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Ability to use a variety of office software applications, including browsers, word processing, database, spreadsheet, and/or presentation applications to prepare a variety of documents, forms, and/or related materials.
• Ability to evaluate data/information and make decisions in accordance with established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE : Successful completion of job related tests. Two (2) years of full time customer service, clerical, or closely related work desired.
Bargaining Unit: White Collar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E 10/1998 R 03/2012