SUMMARY : Under limited supervision, oversees the delivery of a variety of mail, packages, materials, and supplies to Broward County governmental facilities.
• Resolves day-to-day operating problems/issues (missed pick-ups, delivery to wrong address, etc.) in order to ensure timely pick-up/delivery of mail and maximize the efficiency/effectiveness of service provided.
• Updates postage rate software in order to ensure proper postage is applied to outgoing mail, in accordance with United States Postal Service regulations.
• Compiles and prints end-of-month reports of postage usage, number of items sent, and related data for each division in order to facilitate tracking expenditures and outgoing mail volume.
• Applies proper postage to mail items in order to ensure mail is delivered to addressee in a timely manner.
• Ensures postage metering and related equipment operates properly in order to facilitate efficient, effective operation of the mail room.
• Evaluates employee performance in order to identify training needs, determine performance strengths and weaknesses, and to ensure the job is being done correctly.
• Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
• Knowledge of procedures for generating end-of-month reports from postage metering machines.
• Knowledge of established performance criteria for mail room staff.
• Knowledge of polices/procedures for documenting vehicle accidents.
• Knowledge of office, business and medical facility locations in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties.
• Knowledge of traffic laws.
• Knowledge of alternate routes to various locations in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties.
• Knowledge of County policies and procedures related to vehicle use.
• Ability to organize pick-up/delivery routes to ensure maximum efficiency.
• Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and/or division.
• Ability to follow instructions for updating postage rate software in postage metering machines.
• Ability to supervise personnel.
• Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledge, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
• Knowledge of the procedures for updating postage rate software in metering machines.
• Knowledge of postage rates for various types/levels of delivery service.
• Knowledge of account codes used by each division within the department.
• Knowledge of procedures for operating postage meter machines and scales.
• Knowledge of troubleshooting procedures for postage metering machines and scales.
• Knowledge of where to find a variety of information related to postal/delivery services, policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of established mail sorting procedures.
• Knowledge of what type of mail is handled by which mail processor.
• Knowledge of routine/minor maintenance/repair procedures and techniques for postage metering machines and scales.
• Ability to explain postal/delivery service policies, procedures and regulations to other staff.
• Ability to objectively compare employee work activities with established criteria to identify performance levels.
• Ability to prepare performance evaluation forms in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Ability to follow troubleshooting procedures for postage metering machines and scales.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE : Successful completion of job related tests. Four (4) years of experience in mail delivery or related courier work and one (1) year experience in supervisory capacity desired.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT : Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license at time of hire.
Bargaining Unit: White Collar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E 01/1978 R 05/2012