SUMMARY : Under general to limited supervision, performs a variety of journey level painting and related maintenance work.
· Prepares a variety of interior surfaces for painting/finishing in order to ensure maximum finish life, protect designated areas, prevent finish application to unwanted areas, and/or protect the public/other workers from contamination/spills.
· Estimates/determines time and materials needed to complete assigned painting project in order to facilitate scheduling, identify approximate costs and staffing needs, identify type/amount of paint/finish/coverings needed, and/or to provide information needed to determine whether to do project in-house or contract out.
· Paints/applies special finishes/coverings to a variety of interior surfaces, including walls, doors, ceilings, etc. in order to maintain acceptable appearance of the facility, update the type/quality of finish, improve appearance of work and public access areas, repair wear and tear/damage to the facility, remove graffiti, and/or improve the safety of the facility.
· Prepares a variety of exterior surfaces for painting/finishing in order to meet Federal Aviation Administration, U. S. Department of Transportation, and/or Americans With Disabilities Act regulations, ensure maximum finish life, protect designated areas, prevent finish application to unwanted areas, and/or protect the public/other workers from contamination/spills.
· Paints a variety of street, runway, sidewalk, and related surfaces in order to ensure that runway, gate, and related markings comply with Federal Aviation Administration codes, ensure street and parking markings comply with U. S. Department of Transportation and Americans With Disabilities Act regulations, identify caution areas for safety, and/or identify restricted parking spaces.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of established safety procedures for using a variety of tools and equipment associated with applying a variety of paints, finishes, and coverings.
· Knowledge of type of paint/finishes appropriate for a variety of interior surface applications.
· Knowledge of equipment/tools needed for applying a variety of interior/exterior paints, finishes, and/or coverings.
· Knowledge of type of preparation needed for a variety of interior/exterior paints/finishes.
· Knowledge of type of paint/finishes appropriate for a variety of exterior surface applications.
· Knowledge of safety procedures for working with a variety of interior/exterior paints and finishes.
· Ability to operate a variety of tools/equipment associated with applying a variety of paints/finishes.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to coordinate project activities.
· Ability to estimate the amount of time needed to complete an assigned project.
· Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and/or division.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County = s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies .
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Ability to learn to perform a variety of work activities associated with applying a variety of paints/finishes.
· Ability to analyze problems and identify possible solutions.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE :
Successful completion of job related tests. Two (2) years of full time journey level painting or closely related work desired.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Must possess a valid Florida driver's license.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised E 10/1976 R 05/2012