The business of Broward County Government is to deliver cost-effective and collaborative services to enhance and promote the quality of life for our residents, businesses and visitors.
Vision and Goal Statements
Broward County is a diverse, vibrant, urban community with parks, beaches, and green space. Broward has something for everyone. Positioned at the center of Southeast Florida, we are environmentally and economically sustainable and a gateway to the international marketplace. Broward County is a regional body working together with government partners and stakeholders to achieve common goals. We are home to innovation and a great place to live, work, play, and visit.
The Broward County Board of County Commissioners strives to create a community characterized by the following:
Efficient and Accessible Regional Intermodal Transportation Network
As the premier multi-modal transportation network in South Florida, we have a fully integrated, interconnected, public and private transportation system. The Port and Airport, our main gateways, are incorporated into the transportation system. We have an accessible multi-modal transportation system that will conveniently get you anywhere you want to go efficiently and affordably.
Top of Page
Goal 1: Increase community awareness and support to improve and fund public transit meeting the multi-modal mobility needs of the community.
Goal 2: Enhance our efficient, safe, clean, attractive, and interconnected multi-modal transportation systems.
Goal 3: Develop and enhance sustainable transportation facilities at the Port and Airport to meet the demands of travelers, businesses and the community.
A Community With Accessible, Vibrant Arts and Culture, Recreation and Learning Opportunities
We offer exciting cultural and recreational opportunities which provide positive economic benefit through strong county, state, city and private partnerships.
From Sawgrass to Seagrass, our community’s cultural diversity is enhanced through education and technology. We blend work and learning with play close to home.
Top of Page
Goal 1: Provide diverse artistic, cultural, educational, and historical amenities and programs that contribute to a vibrant, multi-cultural and economically-viable community.
Goal 2: In coordination with our community partners, maintain and enhance a premier system of parks and libraries that provide a variety of recreational, cultural and learning opportunities for our residents and visitors.
Social Safety Net: An Accessible Collaborative Approach to Health and Human Services
We recognize an obligation to our most vulnerable residents, and have created performance-based delivery models that emphasize prevention and appropriate intervention, with a goal of independence. We live in a community where health and human services are accessible and provided in collaboration with other private and public entities, to assist residents in need achieve self-sufficiency.
Top of Page
- Goal 1: Support a service delivery system that promotes self-sufficiency and well being.
- Goal 2: Coordinate and maintain quality accessible health and human services in collaboration with public and private partners.
A Pristine, Healthy Environment
We are a community that values a vibrant, healthy environment with abundant open space, accessible and distributed throughout the County. Our residents and visitors enjoy pristine water bodies, clean air and healthy beaches, with strict County standards that ensure environmental protection. Our partners include the federal, state, county and municipal governments. Together, we embrace best management and cost management models for sustainability, conservation of natural resources, environmental stewardship, landscape maintenance, clean air and drinking water, and green buildings.
Top of Page
- Goal 1: Promote, protect and enhance the environment with collaborative partners.
- Goal 2: Encourage and promote community stewardship and appreciation of the environment and the conservation and wise use of our natural resources.
Unlimited Economic Opportunities
Broward County is the perfect place to start, grow and diversify business with a supportive government environment. The County’s economy thrives as a multi-faceted international community that offers well-paying jobs, and a highly-educated, skilled and motivated workforce. Job opportunities are abundant and diverse. We maximize regional, national and global partnerships through innovative technology, use of economic tools, and targeted resources. Our airport, seaport and tourism will continue as significant economic engines for Broward County.
Top of Page
- Goal 1: Attract and retain targeted industries and other high-wage businesses through public and private partnerships.
- Goal 2: Create economic opportunities by cultivating local small business enterprises within Broward County.
- Goal 3: Increase the economic strength and impact of Port Everglades, the Broward County Convention Center and the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in a sustainable manner balancing economy, environment and the community.
- Goal 4: Increase the economic impact of tourism by selling, promoting and marketing the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County area as a premier destination for visitors and meetings.
- Goal 5: Become the center for trade in Florida to the world, especially the Caribbean, South and Central America, and Asia.
- Goal 6: Become a market for a “Signature Event” through public and private partnerships.
A Sustainable, Creative Approach to Community Redevelopment and Affordable Housing
Broward County is a desirable community where people can live, work and play with abundant amenities and infrastructure to accommodate residents and visitors. Our diverse communities enjoy a tropical climate, beautiful beaches and green space, as well as cultural, recreational, and economic opportunities. The community is comprised of a broad array of attractive, interconnected neighborhoods offering a variety of affordable housing for ownership or rental.
Top of Page
- Goal 1: Facilitate a regional approach to growth and redevelopment through coordination and collaboration at the federal, state, county, and municipal levels.
- Goal 2: Strengthen stakeholder partnerships to increase the availability of affordable housing options for all, such as single-family homes, multifamily homes, and purchasing and rental.
Fiscally Sustainable and Transparent Government
Broward County government takes a responsible and disciplined approach to fiscal management. We are proactive and flexible, focusing on operational efficiency and performance improvement opportunities. We are dedicated to providing open and easy access to programs, services and information about Broward County government to residents, visitors and businesses.
Top of Page
- Goal 1: Enhance financial stability through an emphasis on multi-year planning, securing additional revenue sources, and developing fiscally sound policies.
- Goal 2: Raise awareness of County programs and services and their value to the community.
- Goal 3: Improve operational effectiveness, efficiency and transparency.