Broward County, Florida
Skip navigation links
About Us
Arts Education
Events
Funding
Public Art
Resources
Media
Skip navigation links
Art Galleries
Art Walks
Arts Education
Arts Festivals
Arts Parks
Arts Services
Attractions
Culture Crawl
Dance
Friends
Funding Resources
Government Agencies
Historical Societies
Interdisplinary
Libraries
Literature
Media Arts
Museum Memberships
Museums
Music
National Register of Historic Places
Performing Arts
Recreation
Summer Art Camps 2014
Theater Seating Charts
Theaters and Theater Companies
Visual Arts
Cultural Directory Search
FORT LAUDERDALE HISTORICAL SOCIETY

219 SW 2nd Ave
Fort Lauderdale , FL 33301

Phone: 954-463-4431  15
 

Fax: 954-523-6228    

Web Address: http://www.fortlauderdalehistorycenter.org

Email: executive_director@fortlauderdalehistorycenter.org

Contacts:
Nikki  Myers, Executive Director


Purpose:
The mission of the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society is to bring the history of greater Fort Lauderdale to life and preserve it for the enrichment of present and future generations.  


Projects:
Fort Lauderdale History Center - 219 S.W. 2nd Ave. (Fort Lauderdale) 954-463-4431. The offices of the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society are located in the Hoch Heritage Center and the New River Inn.  This charming collection of historic buildings includes the Philemon Bryan House (circa 1905), King-Cromartie House (circa 1907), New River Inn (circa 1905) and the 1899 Replica Schoolhouse. The New River Inn was one of the first structures to be built in South Florida using hollow concrete block made from beach sand. Today, it is home to the Old Fort Lauderdale History Center and a permanent chronological exhibit depicting the history of Fort Lauderdale and Broward County as well as temporary exhibits throughout the year. The County’s first schoolhouses were built in 1899 in Pompano Beach and Fort Lauderdale. The Fort Lauderdale school opened with nine pupils in grades one through six. The first teacher was Ivy Julia Cromartie. It is believed that original schoolhouse was destroyed in the 1926 hurricane. In 1976, Virginia Young, former Fort Lauderdale mayor, headed up the building of replica schoolhouse and it was dedicated in 1977.  In 1971, the King Cromartie House was barged up the river to its present home by the Junior League of Greater Fort Lauderdale. Thousands of school children visit this site each year.


Affiliates:


Description: